Many occasions on long car trips you may have played I-spy as a child or now play it with your children or grandchildren. Calling out the familiar phrase "I spy with my little eye...", hoping to baffle those trying to figure out what exactly it is that you do spy. Then the triumphant "I know ..." was sounded, signaling your "secret" spy is no longer a riddle any longer, and all at once you are out a turn at spying, and your role becomes the questioning, searching finder.
I Spy Memory Game by Briarpatch captures the thrill of those car games, and magically condenses that spirit into card sized fun.
When I first received this game, I opened the box and was surprised that the cards were not pre-cut. There are sheets of thick card stock that you must push the scored cards out of. The process over all was not to tedious, and my 5 yr old daughter enjoyed seeing what I would pop out next. While doing this I noticed that there were two types of cards:
- Elaborate Image cards with a blue text background on the bottom.(Memory Cards)
- Text cards with a red text background on the bottom (Riddle Cards)
If the player is not skilled at reading there is an option to play with just the memory cards themselves. The instructions have a detailed list of images you are looking for to match in pairs, to be read off before the game is started.
This is the option we opted for, as my daughter isn't quite at reading confidently yet, as she will be starting kindergarten this fall.
It seemed a bit overwhelming for my 5 yr old at first, she was really exited to just get to the playing of the game, but once she found her first match she really took to the game. In fact she got the most matches between me and my husband combined.
We all enjoyed this time as a family, and our youngest toddler even got into the spirit of things by holding onto my "matches" pile.
If you are playing with older players who are skilled at reading then the riddle cards will come into play.There are 8 options total to play this game. You are also encouraged to make up your own riddles.
Number of Players: 1-6
Age range: 5 yrs to Adult
- 60 Memory Cards
- 15 Riddle Cards
- Game Instructions
- Option to play memory matching with younger players who aren't proficient at reading.
- Riddles included for older players who are skilled at reading.
- 8 ways to play this game total
- Cards are made with very heavy grade matte card stock
- Images are lively and well done
- Instructions are very detailed.
- Riddles are quick to grab players interest.
- Briarpatch will replace missing game pieces w/ description and $1.00 to cover shipping costs.
- I Spy was awarded a Parent's Choice Gold Award.