30 July 2008

Sassy Sunflower Pops Cookies - Healthy & Fun

Baking with kids can sometimes be challenging. Creating something while keeping kids occupied or interested is no simple feat. Creating a healthier cookies is on not only on parents minds but also on the minds of many health conscience individuals. I would like to introduce you to a great website with some really fun recipes. Sure to please any kid, even that inner child of yours.






...this will
tempt anyone



with visions
of healthy
lovely treats

to decorate &
devour




I was so excited to be picked for
blogging about the Snackivate website.
It came with perks from Kellogg's company -
namely 2 full size boxes of Kellogg's
Frosted Mini Wheats used to experiment
with the recipes on the site, and a cool
little plastic gadget that you put into
the freezer (the cup has gel within the
walls of the cup,to insulate the milk and
to keep it cool),which once frozen will
hold your milk,while the top (it screws
into the bottom) holds your favorite cereal.
This is a nice little gadget for mom's or
dad's toting kids around. Or even college ,
students or teenagers on the go, in be-
ween classes, who haven't the time to
grab a decent breakfast (I think we've
all been there).






The Snacktivate website is a place for anyone looking for health conscience lot's of downloadable recipes, ranging from all different meals of the day to sweet treats, some samples are pictured above, that would be fun to make with children. There are nutrition tips and more for parents, relatives and teachers. Below is one of the featured recipes from Snackivate website.



Recipe: Sassy Sun Pops
I have added some notes on making this Veg/Vegan friendly. You will need to experiment with different ingredients to find the best formulation for Veg/Vegan style cookies using this recipe.

Prep time: 10 min.
Bake time: 12-14 min.
Servings: 33

These cookies are baked at 350 °F for 12 - 14 min.

Materials Needed:
Candy sticks, that are oven proof (you can find at your favorite craft store, i.e Micheal's)
Almonds
Flaxseed
Cookie Sheet

Cookie Ingredients:

  • 2 cups (AP) flour
  • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup butter or margarine (soft) (supplement Earth's Balance stick for vegan cookies)
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs (if going veg/vegan there are many egg replacers out there, you may want to experiment with what works best in cookies for you - consider the extra dry ingredients by way of the cereal and try opting for something with more moisture content)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 60 frosted bite sized mini-wheats OR 60 un-frosted mini-wheats (unfrosted is the best vegan alternative due to the gelatin in the frosting) , crushed (pulse in a food processor, or put into a zip lock bag and beat w/ rolling pin)

Procedure:

  1. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  2. In large mixing bowl, add peanut butter, Gran. Sugar, Brown sugar and mix on medium-high w/ electric mixer. Beat until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs & vanilla. Beat well
  4. Beat in crushed cereal and flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
  5. Drop by spoonful onto a cookie sheet . While pressing down, use back of fork to make across hatch into cookie dough.
  6. Add oven proof cookie sticks by pressing stick into one side of the dough of each cookie.
  7. TO create sunflower: press flax seeds into the center of each cookie dough round. Press raw whole almonds into the outer edges of each round to form the petals of the sunflower design.
  8. Bake at 350 °F for 12- 14 min. or until golden brown, remove baked cookies with spatula from cookie sheets immediately and let cookies cool on wire wracks.
This recipe is adapted from Crunchy Peanut Butter Cookies a recipe © of Kellogg's NA Co. 2008. All Rights Reserved.


Hope you can recreate the fun time I had creating these with my 5 yr old daughter. It was a blast. She loved adding the spoons of dough to the cookie sheets and making the "sunflower" designs. Enjoy!









25  Comments
 Tweets
  Comments

25 comments

Anonymous
10:42 AM, July 31, 2008 Reply  

These look great; I think I will try them with my girls, but I bet they'd get a kick out of mini cookies (melon baller?) and using real sunflower seeds in place of the almonds for the design. While I like the idea of flax seeds for health boosters, we might just be tempted to use sanding sugar for the inner design...

10:58 AM, July 31, 2008 Reply  

Yes, there are ALLOT of neat things you could do to decorate these cookies.

Even using a rubber stamp to create impressions of the kids initials, or favorite designs in the cookie dough before you bake them off.

Then creating a design around the impressions.

Using raisins to make designs or peanuts themselves, walnuts, pecans. The combos are endless.

I would avoid chocolate chips to make designs, unless they have a higher fat content because they will melt into a puddle of goo on your cookies.

As an alternative after the cookies have cooled - you could melt BS chocolate chips and use a spoon dipped into the chocolate, with quick motions run it across each cookie to make "webs" of thin chocolate strands across the tops of your cookies. (You would need to work fast before the chocolate hardened)

The most important thing is to have fun with your kids :)

I appreciate your comment. That will help inspire some other readers. Thanks!

Anonymous
11:20 AM, July 31, 2008 Reply  

Does it really taste a lot like frosted min wheats? because that is one of my favorite cereals and I am having a hard time picturing it being a cookie. How did you ever come up with the recipe?!

11:39 AM, July 31, 2008 Reply  


How to Jump Highersaid...: Does it really taste a lot like frosted min wheats? because that is one of my favorite cereals and I am having a hard time picturing it being a cookie. How did you ever come up with the recipe?!


Actually this won't taste like frosted mini wheats.The cereal is ground up. It actually will taste like a peanut butter cookie - only with a crunchier texture. You will hardly know that the cereal is there. Kind of sneaky way of getting some nutrition into your yummy treats.

I added the Veg/Vegan & decorating notes, but the recipe itself is adapted from the one at The Snackivate Website.

You can find more recipes there also.

Anonymous
3:33 PM, July 31, 2008 Reply  

Thanks for site suggestion. It really looks interesting.
And thanks for the recipe. I really like and i will try it out first time i spare some free time :)

Anonymous
11:03 PM, July 31, 2008 Reply  

Snacktivate's a lot of fun. Added baking to my list of quality-time-activities! :)

Anonymous
3:09 AM, August 01, 2008 Reply  

I had thee when i visited my brother an his family, he gave these to me and i was surprised how good the tasted, cheers Mick..

Anonymous
10:34 AM, September 15, 2008 Reply  

Ohh man, now I'm hungry. That the problem, every time I get a recipe of something, I imagine the process and how it will be at the end. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous
3:20 AM, September 17, 2008 Reply  

Thanks for the recipe.. M definitely going to try that.. Just by checking out the recipe itself, one can judge that its going to yummy....

Anonymous
5:19 PM, September 29, 2008 Reply  

Nice recipe! I will really give it a try. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous
7:24 AM, October 12, 2008 Reply  

Well you definitely right. I don't have my own kids but my nephews were here all the time and it was challenging to keep them busy with something they enjoy. Baking some cookies may be a new idea that will help me to have a new activity for them

Anonymous
9:36 PM, November 05, 2008 Reply  

So nice..you enjoy at the same time have a bonding time with the kids..I really like to bake with the kids because more laugh and fun than with my mother.With my mom more corrections than making it nice,

7:27 AM, June 01, 2009 Reply  

Wow, sounds delicious.. anything that has the word cookie accompanied with it and I am there! I am tired of making plain ole chocolate chip ones all the time though, so this will be great!

10:33 PM, July 23, 2009 Reply  

i don't have my own kids but my nephews were here all the time and it was challenging to keep them busy with something they enjoy

1:18 PM, August 14, 2009 Reply  

I love peanut butter and chocolate cookies... maybe I could try this recipe and add some chocolate chips in. Thanks!

3:48 PM, November 21, 2009 Reply  

Your post made me wish i could cook better. I think i will look into getting in some classes my kids would love to do things like this. Thanks

10:41 PM, December 20, 2009 Reply  

thanks for the recipe
i'll try the recipe if i have time.
I like to shape because a child's attention

6:51 AM, December 26, 2009 Reply  

I often like to be in kitchen to make some thing creative that's because my house is full with my nephews & nieces, so have to keep them busy with something nutritious & healthy. Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely try this one.

1:25 AM, March 01, 2010 Reply  

With flaxseed and peanut butter you are getting your good fats and then helping to strengthen your heart. Flax seed is really good for lowering your cholesterol. These are some semi-healthy cookies.

12:55 AM, March 04, 2010 Reply  

You describe this post in lovely writing style. I enjoy reading your article. Hope I can visit your blog again. Thanks for sharing

2:30 PM, March 11, 2010 Reply  

That's look delicious. The recipe seems simple to me, I wonder what will happen if I change it a bit, do some experiment with it, well I love to that with my recipes. First I have to make it as mention here then experiment time. Cheers.

3:31 PM, January 07, 2011 Reply  

Great article. you writen a very informative and helpful tips. I also read you other post and also M coming back soon for more informative and attractive post's.

12:23 PM, February 15, 2011 Reply  

Great article you carved very useful and cooperative instructions. I also read you further post and also M coming back shortly for more informative and eye-catching post's.

8:57 PM, February 15, 2011 Reply  

Be grateful you for another fantastic blog. Where else could I become this kind of info carved in such? A motivate full way? I have a development that I am just now working on, and I have been looking for such material.

1:51 AM, June 06, 2012 Reply  

thank for sharing..i hope y'll succsees with u'r job..

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your thoughts on posts are very much appreciated.

Due to spam, all comments will be reviewed - before any comments are published.

Type-A Parent New York City Bootcamp (Focus: Brand-Blogger Relations)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to TOP