I liken Yeast to the popular and oh-so-old skool group ,The Beastie Boys. Both groups - whether rockin' the mike or the mixer, if given the best environment, will rock hard...and go on and on and on, improving on flavor. They both are fueled on additives and are a product of alcohol, whether that means straight drunk or chemically.....they get ill.
|Beastie Boys by LaMoe79|
Purpose: Leavening of doughs
Optimum Temp: (to warm 33-40°F) (♥ prefer. 33-38°F) as temp. deteriorates over time.
When Yeast is activated: 45°F
Thermal Death of Yeast: 140°F
----> Compressed Yeast
- 73% moisture
- Needs to be as fresh as possible for use.
- Has not been processed as much as dry yeast.
- Fresh yeast is best for products to be frozen
----> Active Dry Yeast
- Can be stored for 1 month.
- Has to be reconstituted in 4x it's weight.
- Not used as frequently in bakeries, as in restaurant kitchens.
----> Instant Dry Yeast
- Shelf life of 1 year
For More Yeast Info: Go here