14 August 2007

Blurb on Big Small Plates : Recipe for Tomatillo - Avocado Salsa


Cindy Pawlcyn Big Small Plates:




...I was inspired

by that funny movie
Mermaids, where Cher plays
a mom who can only cook appetizers...


Smaller Portions. Big On Taste.
I am a big fan of the bite sized sampler. I love dim sum.
At most decent restaurants you can satisfy hunger
with an order among friends made solely of appetizers.
When I think about small samplers, It is a feeling
much more nostalgic, it awakens memories of
toddler days, when little bits , here and there
were arranged in a goofy mosaic on my colorful
melmac dinning set, equipped with matching fork
and sippy cup. Little nibbler was I, and I enjoyed
this feast as I watched Sesame Street. My favorite
short was of the Pastry Chef, who in his chef
whites and hat, aided by snazzy jazz muzak, speedily
flat iced a cake on his Revolving Cake Stand.
That was a defining moment for me . I saw that and told
myself, yes, that would be someone neat to be.


In Cindy Pawlcyn's newest cookbook,
she explores the shrinking culinary world of mini plates. It is a trend I would love to see more of, especially as America's waste size keeps growing. Most restaurants have to relay their culinary flare plated with portions suitable for two people, eaten by one. Most customers tend to feel robbed if their portions play out into healthy sizes on the plate. The average person would vote quantity over quality --- in theory a better value, but for most avid foodies this is not the case.

Big Small Plates is a refreshing take on mini portions. Here Cindy uses ingredients to maximize flavor, and in the recipe below she includes some of my ♥ favorite ♥ ingredients. It is a ♥Vegan/Vegetarian friendly recipe.

Cindy's Backstreet Tomatillo - Avocado Salsa
Make sure you find the right ripeness in your avocados --- wiggle the stem, it should move gently, but not sink in totally.
Juiciness of tomatillos vary** --- you might need to add a tsp or more of rice vinegar and one additional tablespoon of olive oil.
If you want less heat in your salsa --- be sure to remove the jalapeño seeds.

  • 8 oz. tomatillos, papery husk removed, cut into ½ - inch dice.
  • 1 ½ avocados , pitted, peeled, and cut into ¼- inch dice.
  • 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced.
  • 1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded if you wish, and minced.
  • 3 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
  • ½ teaspoon ground toasted cumin seeds.
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar**
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

To make the salsa :

Combine all the ingredients except the vinegar and oil, in a bowl. Mix well but gently, taking care not to mash the avocado. Whisk together the vinegar and oil until emulsified, and add just enough of this to the salsa to moisten it. Reserve any leftover vinaigrette to use in other salad dressings.

Big Small Plates © Ten Speed Press


Other cookbooks big on little adventures:







6  Comments
 Tweets
  Comments

6 comments

Anonymous
3:58 AM, January 20, 2009 Reply  

Thanks for this Salsa recipe.It sounds delicious.I'll give it a try.

3:26 AM, December 20, 2009 Reply  

Since my mother is not feeling well, I took the charge of kitchen. I love to cook & always looking for the recipes of different dishes. Thanks for sharing Salsa recipe, I will definitely give it a try tonight.

Mon
7:56 AM, May 04, 2010 Reply  

Wow.. This one's worth a try!

I like the Avocado touch ;0

5:29 AM, June 01, 2010 Reply  

Thanks for this recipe - delicious! I have never really known what to do with a tomatillo. Now I do!

9:52 AM, September 26, 2010 Reply  

I just love anything with Avocado in it. In fact I even make smoothies with it (throw in a couple of dates for a sweeter taste). The truth is - an Avocado is so healthy you can even put it on your skin as face lotion and it works wonders.

12:11 PM, January 28, 2011 Reply  

I do not really like tomatoes, even though I know it's very nutritious. hopefully with this recipe, I become more like tomatoes.

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your thoughts on posts are very much appreciated.

Due to spam, all comments will be reviewed - before any comments are published.

Type-A Parent New York City Bootcamp (Focus: Brand-Blogger Relations)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to TOP