17 December 2009

Harvesting, Foraging and Mushrooms - Oh My!

I am lucky to live here in Oregon, where the ancient forests sprawl down into the valleys , whose spindly branches of Oak, Myrtle, Maple and evergreens outwardly stretch, as their canopies tower above roadsides - whose greenery throws shadows onto cars -  filtering sunlight into a flickering dance of light onto the winding roads which disappear into the green mossy-lined darkness.

Among those trees hidden in the shadows and bark of decomposed logs, or livestock pastures  and typical wasteland -  little gems of edible goodness are lurking. Mushrooms! I have always wanted to go foraging for them and the other forest edibles, but haven't gotten a chance yet. So as one of my resolutions for the New Year is to learn to identify edible wild plants and forage.

And to celebrate this theme, I have found a mushroom hunter, Lee M. Norris, to share some of his knowledge on edible mushrooms found in Oregon. Even though he mentions some species found in Oregon - his comments on hunting them as a whole are not Oregon specific, and anyone interested in foraging might learn some helpful tips.

While editing his guest post: A Foraging We Will Go, Mushroom Hunting in Oregon, I thought it would be lovely to give some links on guides for mushroom hunting, which led me to a list cataloged by region, continent and by specialty.

Hopefully these list of books will give everyone a new perspective of those little fungi  and other plants growing and thriving around us.

Medicinal Mushrooms Cuisine Poster Print, 24x36Edible Fungi: Parasol Mushroom 20x30 posterMushrooms Poster PrintCavallini Les Champignons Mushrooms Gift Wrap Paper Decoupage Poster, One









See the Foraging , Truffles &  Mushroom Hunting Publication list in it's entirety. Read: Part 1 - Truffles, Part 2 - Mushrooms, Part 3 - Foraging Edible Plants 


22  Comments
 Tweets
  Comments

22 comments

9:11 PM, December 17, 2009 Reply  

I love Any Mushrooms Dish, its very delicious.
I just love it

2:30 AM, December 18, 2009 Reply  

I love these kind of places, These kind of places are always nice and appealing to me. I love loneliness and these kind of place are best places for it.

9:42 AM, December 18, 2009 Reply  

woah, i love mushroom ^^

10:11 AM, December 18, 2009 Reply  

hi is my first time to visiting here, wow ur site is very good. think bout that mushroom....until now in my luch i will eat them

12:15 PM, December 18, 2009 Reply  

I was looking for ways to prepare mushrooms and I ran across this blog and now I find out Oregon has edible mushrooms lying everywhere! Are you kidding me how lucky are you. I love mushrooms.

10:51 AM, December 26, 2009 Reply  

Yellow mushrooms in my country is called Galbiori

3:33 AM, January 26, 2010 Reply  

hmm its looking very delicious.Specially different kind of Mushrooms i saw in ur post. it was so beautiful.

5:34 AM, January 27, 2010 Reply  

Mushroom is a nutritious food. Mushroom contains much more nutritious content like high protein than non-veg foods.

11:57 PM, February 05, 2010 Reply  

Really wonderful piece of information and I appreciate it that you share something so useful with the readers of this blog.i never about it before and you say we can say some what a awesome way i am fully satisfied about that topic thanks for that post really by heart

6:23 AM, February 10, 2010 Reply  

this is such a yummy blog, I really hungry to see this blog.

10:48 AM, February 15, 2010 Reply  

Mushroom is testy item for vegiterian . thanks

2:13 AM, February 19, 2010 Reply  

i like mushrooms.Mushrooms are normally found in areas that provide the best conditions for them to grow and areas that are warm and damp.

12:14 PM, February 22, 2010 Reply  

I think I am lucky that i read your blog.but Specially different kind of Mushrooms i saw in ur post. it was so beautiful.

2:54 AM, March 04, 2010 Reply  

hey,
your post is very nice.
really wonderful piece information and i appreciate it that u share something so useful of this blog.
thanks a lot.

10:23 AM, March 07, 2010 Reply  

Great this post.thx

5:06 AM, March 12, 2010 Reply  

Very impressive research on harvesting and foraging of Mushrooms indeed. I have visited so many blog about Mushroom and it's type, but I find it more informative and comprehensive than others. And the place you have mentioned is like a paradise for me, I will definitely want to visit these area soon.

5:16 AM, March 17, 2010 Reply  

Good post and a fantastic read. You have raised some valid points. Great work, keep it up. I love returning back to this site and reading the quality content you always have on offer.

7:33 AM, April 13, 2010 Reply  

It have really a wonderful information given here.these list of books will give everyone a new perspective of those little fungi and other plants growing and thriving around us.Thanks for the post to share here.

Anonymous
1:29 PM, May 04, 2010 Reply  

I love these kind of places, These kind of places are always nice and appealing to me. I love loneliness and these kind of place are best places for it.Thanks for the blog.

9:30 PM, May 07, 2010 Reply  

Hello friends,

It the is first time to visit your site.I am astonished to see your site.I like very much mushrooms. It is my favorite food.

Like your site I have also a site .My site's name is" www. chill-Melody.com " .

Thanks
_________

5:41 PM, November 14, 2010 Reply  

Thanks for this post. I really appreciate the content. Hope that you can share more.

3:58 PM, March 18, 2011 Reply  

nothing is better the hand harvested forest mushrooms!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your thoughts on posts are very much appreciated.

Due to spam, all comments will be reviewed - before any comments are published.

Type-A Parent New York City Bootcamp (Focus: Brand-Blogger Relations)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to TOP