|Rye Upclose and Personal by P1r|
Parts of The Rye kernel:
- Germ = Very core, inner center, where sprout develops.
- Bran = outer Layer wrapped around the germ.
- Endosperm = inner middle of the kernel.
- Rye has no Gluten
- Rye flour used on it's own makes for a very dense bread. -- an example of this is Pumpernickel.
- Usually mixed with a hard four to produce better bread.
Rye Flour Types:
- "Light" rye flour -- made from inner most endosperm
- "Medium" rye flour --- made from whole endosperm
- "Dark" rye flour --- made from Outer endosperm
- Rye "Meal" -- made from whole kernel