I walk around . My nostrils flare with scents carried on the winter wind gusts - I know that spring is closer than ever. I am starved for spring! I want the gray bitterness to dissolve away. I need the breezes to be pleasant and the sun to warm my cheek. And I want to be thrown about with god's green tenderness.
Here is a recipe that awakens the spring from within & delights your palate.
Adapted from a recipe found in Vegetarian Times
Do not puree the ingredients or this will have to be named "smoothie" instead!
- 6 Cups seedless watermelon cubes (  16 lb whole watermelon)
- 1/2 of a seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 of an organic yellow bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 TB lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 TB extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 Cup cold raspberry-cranberry juice
- 3 TB chopped fresh mint
In a large food processor, combine 3 cups watermelon, the cucumber , bell pepper, scallions, garlic, lime or lemon juice, olive oil & hot pepper sauce. Process with short pulses until the mixture is just finely chopped.
Add the remaining watermelon, raspberry-cranberry juice, and mint. Process with pulses until just finely chopped.