05 March 2005

Formula : Black Forest Cherry Gateau

morello cherries by Jeppestown


Serves about 8 but if you are dessert challenged you may slice thin & get about 10 - 11 pieces.
Recipe adapted from Desserts: Mouthwatering Recipes for Delectable Dishes

(fyi - these are UK measurements - need to be converted to US standard)


For The Cake:
  • 6 eggs
  • 7 oz. Sugar
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
  • 2 oz. All purpose Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Cocoa powder
  • 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted
For The Filling/Topping :
  • 4 Tbsp. Kirsch
  • 2 1/2 Cups whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
  • 1 1/2 jars of stoned Morello Cherries, drained & patted w/ paper towel
For Finishing :
  • icing sugar for dusting
  • grated chocolate curls
  • fresh drained canned Morello Cherries {there are some great cherries packed in Kirsch , just follow the link}
  • grated chocolate
  • chocolate curls

Preheat oven to 350° F. Prep 3, 7 1/2 inch sandwich cake pans & line each with parchment paper.
Whisk the eggs with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and very thick - the batter should hold it's shape once the whisk is lifted.

Sift the flour and cocoa over the mixture and fold in evenly (don't over mix). Stir in the melted butter. Divide the batter into the 3 cake pans, with an offset spatula smooth the batter evenly.

Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, until cakes have risen & spring back when touched lightly. Leave to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire wrack & let cool completely.

Prick each layer all over with a skewer or fork, then sprinkle with kirsch. Whip the cream in a bowl until it starts to thicken, then beat in the icing sugar & vanilla until the mixture begins to hold it's shape.


To assemble :

spread one cake layer with a thick layer of flavored cream & top with a quarter of the cherries. Spread the second layer as above, position it onto the first layer you made, then position the last, top layer.

Spread the remaining cream all over the cake. Dust a plate with icing sugar; center the cake onto the plate.

Press grated chocolate all over the sides. Add chocolate curls & cherries to the top.

For more cakes & desserts like this one check out Desserts & Pastry books.


12  Comments
 Tweets
  Comments

12 comments

Anonymous
11:19 PM, September 11, 2008 Reply  

Oh my gosh, i'm almost drooling at the mouth! Now this is MY kind of recipe, my wife tells me to stay away from the desserts but shhh. I'm going to try this out when she's at work tomorow - thanks again.

7:16 PM, July 31, 2009 Reply  

This would translate really well for persons with celiac disease because it doesn't have very much flour. I love these classic recipes!

8:24 AM, September 08, 2009 Reply  

This looks so unbelievably tasty! I am making it this weekend for my family dessert night! Thanks for the detailed instructions. Looks very easy to follow. Looking forward to making this beautiful treat!

8:35 AM, October 17, 2009 Reply  

Yummy! I like cakes & deserts very much but the black forest is one of my favorite.
I will definitely try this at home & hopeful i will successful :)
Once it will done well then I'll make it twice in a month... can't wait!

Thank u very much for sweetest recipe.

2:45 AM, February 02, 2010 Reply  

Sounds Yummy.I am going to ask my mom to prepare this for me...I just love black forest cakes.

4:46 AM, February 16, 2010 Reply  

hmmm,
cakes are my favourite too !
specially the black forest

1:56 AM, February 17, 2010 Reply  

Aha !
Black forest yummy !
Delicious

10:52 AM, August 26, 2010 Reply  

This looks just like the cake I am dreaming night when I am on a diet... Looks irresistible and delicious!

8:32 AM, September 06, 2010 Reply  

Wow, a great recipe. I'm going to try this out this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes :) My mom used to make a black forest gateux but in a bread tin so it was square. I also made a black forect cake once - not a gateaux. It was chocolate sponge with cherrys and frosting inside covered with icing. Unfortunately I've not yet perfected making cream for cakes.

3:44 PM, June 02, 2011 Reply  

Tried out this recipe yesterday and it tasted delicious but unfortunately mine didn't look anything like the one in the picture

Thanks for the recipie
rc tanks fan

5:24 AM, August 20, 2011 Reply  

Great recipe, I love these types of cakes they are super yummy. We always have this one at Christmas, it wouldn't be the same without it.

6:41 AM, June 12, 2012 Reply  

I like cakes and I already mentioned it on the other topic and one of the flavors that I would prefer is the black forest. Black forest is just so unique due to the kind of chocolaty taste that it can give you.

www.mitprof.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your thoughts on posts are very much appreciated.

Due to spam, all comments will be reviewed - before any comments are published.

Type-A Parent New York City Bootcamp (Focus: Brand-Blogger Relations)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Back to TOP